Update: Song Diary and Day One Logging with Slogger16 Apr 2013
Well, that didn’t take long.
Almost immiediately after I posted yesterday about logging from iTunes to Day One by modifying Trackographer, I came across Brett Terpstra’s Slogger suite of scripts, which allows you to generate Day One entries from an incredible variety of web-based services. Obviously, it was theLast.fm plugin that really intrigued me, especially since my Trackographer script was being a little finnicky yesterday morning.
So I tested it. My initial results were pretty unsatisfying, with songs getting pulled down in seemingly random order. They also didn’t include a timestamp for me to manually rearrange them if I wanted to (which I didn’t). I know literally nothing about Ruby scripting, but I could tell that the script was pulling down data from an RSS feed. So I tried pointing the RSS Slogger plugin to my last.fm feed, and then modifying the output to produce something similar to what I had done yesterday. Voila! I feel like what I lost in formatting I made up for in the fact that song titles link to their Last.fm page.
In order to make this work, you’ll need to replace the code in the RSS plugin with the code found here, which, like I said, is super hackish and probably gross if you know anything about Ruby. Of course, you’ll also need to following all of the basic set-up steps with Slogger first. That involves some command-line stuff, but it’s pretty straightforward.
See more posts tagged: logging comments powered by Disqus